Have you ever wondered which antivirus program is the fastest or which uses the least system resources?
I know I have, especially as I found one that was a real resource hog last year (though, to be fair, it was a beta version).
Well recently Anti-Malware.ru did just that, basing their findings on both raw speed and the level of system resources utilised.
The antivirus programs run through the tests were –
- Trend Micro
(You can learn more about many of the above in my ‘top 10 antivirus for 2010‘ post)
If you read their article you’ll see that they put various antivirus programs through a large number of tests to measure performance in many different settings such as –
1. Operation system boot time.
2. Memory & CPU used by antivirus software.
3. File copying performance (on-access antivirus scanner performance testing).
4. Scan speed (on-demand antivirus scanner performance testing).
5. Boot time for the five most popular office applications.
– I’ll let you read the detail, via the link at the beginning of this post, for yourself as it is quite in-depth.
Overall it looks like Avira performed very well in all the tests with the programs from other vendors getting mixed results depending on the particular operation being performed.
What is your experience with your antivirus program like?
Is it quick enough or do you find it sluggish in operation?