As I’ve said before, USB storage devices provide a convenient means of transporting and storing your data. That can lead to a problem though which is that their convenience can often lead us to take them for granted. Where we might be religious about backing up and protecting data on an internal hard drive we tend to be less concerned about taking the same measures with USB sticks.
But that can often prove to be a foolish way to treat such storage devices. After all, they are just as susceptible to hardware failure, data corruption and malware as their larger mechanical counterparts are. Maybe even more so.
Not taking care of your USB storage devices could end up costing you important files, music or photos. Therefore it is important that you follow some pretty basic rules to prevent data loss with your USB data storage devices.
USB loss prevention tips
- Back up your data. Always. You should never rely upon any storage device to last forever and USB devices are especially prone to loss or damage.
- Carry your USB storage device securely. As above; they are easily lost and damaged.
- Keep it cool. Such devices don’t like extremes of temperature so don’t put them in the freezer or the microwave!
- Use security software. An antivirus or internet security program can not only keep your main system secure but also can be used to scan all of your USB devices too.
- Always wear a cap. These devices typically come with a protective cap so take your USB stick out of the computer when you aren’t using it and put the cap on. This will lessen the chances of it becoming damaged.
USB storage devices are very convenient but only when they are working! Keep yours safe and secure so that you don’t end up relying upon data recovery services to get your essential data back.