Here is some good news for security experts who want to test their skills in a real world environment – Symantec have just launched what they call their Cyber Readiness Challenge.
Designed as an interactive ‘capture the flag’ style competition, the challenge will take place in many locations around the globe, though only the following spots are expressly mentioned at this time:
- January 29, 2013 — Dallas, Texas
- February 5, 2013 — Chicago, Illinois
- Februray 28, 2013 — New York, New York Register now
- March 6, 2013 — Minneapolis, Minnesota Register now
- March 13, 2013 — Bay Area, California Register now
Entrants can have any level of expertise and will be put into a hacker’s shoes in order to better understand how to protect their networks. Joining the challenge is free (register here) but you will need to specify a location at the time of signing up and spaces are limited.
Here is a video about a previous challenge in Toronto:
The top individual entrant to the competition can win $2,500 for their efforts.