My Review Of Kaspersky Pure
if you have been researching security products lately then you’ll know that an internet security package typically offers many more features than a standalone antivirus program. Kaspersky takes that high level of features even further with the Pure package.
This program takes Kaspersky’s Internet Security package and adds password management, remote network management and backup facilities to the mix.
- Extremely good at detecting malware
- Very good at removing malware
- Protect up to 3 PCs with one license
- Contains a huge number of security features
Will Kaspersky Pure run on your computer?
In order to run Kaspersky Pure you computer will need to meet the following minimum specifications:
- Windows XP 32 bit (SP3) or 64 bit Pro (SP2) / Vista 32 bit or 64 bit (SP2 or higher) / Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit
- 300 Mhx processor and 256 MB of RAM for XP users / 1 Hhz processor and 1 GB of RAM for Windows 7 and Vista users (2 GB of RAM for Windows 7 64 bit)
- 500 MB+ of free hard drive space
What features will you discover in this program?
The main features of this program are as follows:
- Malware protection – keep your computer secure from the latest threats
- Spam protection – keep that unwanted junk out of your email inbox
- Firewall – great protection against hackers
- Password protection – manage and secure your online passwords as per Kaspersky’s Password Manager 4
- Parental controls – linked to user accounts, controls when your kids can surf the net and who they can contact in IM
- Data backup and restore – allows you to backup important data to your local drive, external drive or network
- Data encryption – encrypts your important files
- File shredder – overwrites deleted data with zeroes and random bytes to prevent forensic recovery
- Virtual keyboard – allows you to enter sensitive data without any chance of a keylogger picking it up
- Home network control – manage and control other Kaspersky Pure installations on your home network
Is Kaspersky Pure easy to install and what does it look like?
If there are no outstanding issues with your system then Kaspersky Pure will install quite quickly. In my case the program found a couple of small files that another security program didn’t uninstall properly and so Pure prompted me to delete them. This wasn’t possible via the Control Panel so I had to download a tool and invest several minutes into doing it manually – its a shame that Pure couldn’t do this automatically in my opinion.
Once that issue was dealt with the program loaded up with the screen you see above. As you can see, I had to go straight into a quite lengthy update before my computer was protected.
Once that was out of the way I was into the program proper. See the first screen shot at the top of this review to see the first glimpse at the interface which I believe is well laid out and very simple to navigate and use. All the basics are available from the main screen and most people should be ok with using them. Delve around a little in the settings though and you will find a scary number of things to play around with!
How well will the program run on my computer?
With Kaspersky Pure being more featured packed than many other internet security programs I did wonder what that would do to the resource usage of the program.
Whilst it is sitting in the background you will barely notice it but when a full scan was run on my computer it was a different matter – memory usage is quite high in comparison to other internet security programs and CPU usage was very high indeed.
In the image below you’ll see what I mean. That CPU usage was quite typical for the entire scan which, incidentally, was also quite slow, taking about 3 hours to complete.
Will Kaspersky Pure keep me safe from the latest threats?
After seeing the high level of resource usage when running a full scan I hoped that Kaspersky Pure would redeem itself with it’s ability to detect, prevent and remove malware.
And so it did.
Kaspersky Pure did a great job of detecting everything I threw at it. Malicious URLs were blocked and all manner of nasties were found and removed when I ran it on an infected system.
What is my overall impression of Kaspersky Pure?
Kaspersky Pure is a monster of a security package. There are a huge number of features available here (and I probably haven’t found them all yet!). The program does a fantastic job of detecting and blocking malware which is, of course, it’s primary role.
Other features, such as the firewall, parental controls, backups and file shredding work very well too. I wasn’t quite so impressed with the spam filter, though I’m not sure I’ve found a great one bundled with any security program yet.
The only drawback for me really is the CPU usage which was high and sustained enough to cause me problems when a full scan was in progress. This may not be an issue to you if you have a shiny new PC or can schedule scans for when you are not using the machine but is worth consideration at least.
[box type=”important”]BUY NOW
New Kaspersky PURE! Keeps your computer in pristine condition and gives you complete peace of mind. Buy now! Click Here[/box]
- from $89.95 for 3 licenses