If you’ve landed on this page you may prefer to look at something newer: The Best 10 Internet Security programs for 2012.
As 2009 draws to a close most security vendors have already released their 2010-branded products.
Therefore I thought this was a good opportunity to look back over what I believe to be some of the best offerings of 2009.
Sure, there may be newer versions of some of these available now (and I will be writing about those over the next few weeks) but guess what?
These 2009 versions are typically just as effective, and can often be found for a fraction of the price, as retailers look to clear out old stocks 🙂
Introduction to the best of internet security, 2009
Every person who uses a Windows computer on the internet needs to ensure that their system is well protected.
The very first thing I do after installing the operating system onto a new computer or drive is install my security software and I would recommend that you do the same thing too.
There is no point in having the latest and greatest laptop or desktop computer if you arn’t going to take care of it and that includes preventing malware from entering it, as well as blocking other threats too.
How does an antivirus program work?
After installing an antivirus program it will scan your computer, detect and eliminates potential virus threats in two ways –
Firstly, the antivirus program scans your system files and looks for virus definitions that match it’s in-built and updated virus dictionary and if a virus match is found then it automatically alerts the user about the virus.
The second method is to recognize other suspicious behavior, such as spyware or data capturing.
When such behavior is detected the program will again alert the user and offer the means to put an end to them.
There are many such antivirus and internet security programs available today and picking the right one can be quite a tricky prospect.
In order to help you decide I’ve listed my own favourite antivirus/security programs from this year –
1. Bit defender Total Security 2009:
Bit defender antivirus 2009 was one of the best antivirus programs of the year.
It has also earned “Top Ten REVIEWS Gold Award” for being the best protection suite.
Bit defender not only provides security to PC’s but also provides internet security as well.
This version of BitDefender has new features, improved protection and performance.
The main key elements are:
• Easy to use.
• Easy to install.
• Automatic updates
• Parental controls
• IM encryption
• Active Virus Control
• Adjustable user interface
2. Kaspersky Internet Security 2009:
Most of my friends, who are more casual users of the internet, have not heard of Kapersky who come from Russia.
That is, perhaps, because Kaspersky are one of the younger companies featured here but they have already carved out a great name for themselves nonetheless.
Kaspersky Internet Security isn’t my favourite on this list but it is a suite I’ve chosen for kids’ computers due to it’s simple and clean interface.
It does offer strong protection and has also won many awards.
The main features of KIS 2009 are –
• Renowned antivirus scanning engine
• Virus scanner
• Effective anti-spyware tools
• Popup blocker
• Simple interface
• A strong well protected firewall
The ability to protect your computer registry and more. That’s why it received the “Top Ten REVIEWS Bronze Award.”
Webroot spy sweeper is a product of Webroot software INC, one of the leading providers for anti-spyware software.
Webroot spy sweeper is a reliable and award-winning anti-spyware program that effectively detects and gets rid of the spyware and adware from personal computers and laptops.
The main advantage of this spy sweeper is that it protects your computer from various consequences such as a slower Internet connection, pop-up advertisement problems, reduced computer performance or, in the worst case, the loss of private information and identity theft.
The main features are:
• Advanced Detection Techniques
• Accurate Risk Assessment
• Continuous Security Updates
• Enhanced Blocking with Smart Shield Protection
• Protection Made Easy
4. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2009:
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2009 is one of the leading top 10 antivirus programs with some great features like –
• Virus definition updates are very small in size compared to others antivirus applications.
• Provides best protection against zero day threat and attacks
• Multi layered protection including real time email scanning
• Blocking all attempts to collect and forward your personal and confidential data
5. F-Secure Internet Security 2009:
F-secure Internet Security 2009 is the one of the top 10 internet security softwares.
I reviewed it very recently so check out my F-Secure Internet Security 2009 review for more detailed information.
F-Secure Internet security 2009 has come up with many exciting features like antispyware, spam, antivirus, and a phishing filter.
It also has a new feature called DeepGuard 2.0 cloud computing technology which provides automatic updates and protects your computer from severe threats which include terrors like root kits and malware.
The main features are –
• Protection from virus and spyware
• DeepGuard 2.0 Enabled
• Healthy and trustworthy Firewall
• F-Secure Black Light which detects and eliminates the presence of root kits.
• Spam Filter and Anti-phishing toolbar
• Parental Control
6. AVG antivirus 2009:
If I were to conduct a poll asking people which antivirus vendors they know of then AVG antivirus would probably come out at the top result.
This would almost certainly be due to the fact that their free antivirus program is really rather good.
It is very easy to scan your computer with AVG and for that reason it is what I am running right now whilst I choose another complete internet security package.
Also, the user interface is easy to understand and installation is a breeze.
Later versions of AVG come with a feature called core scanning engine which offers better performance with multi-core processors.
7. McAfee Antivirus 2009:
McAfee is a well-known brand and the company always offers good quality products.
Their 2009 Antivirus program offers some great features including a Script Stopper to prevent viruses from spreading from one computer to another via email, and WormStopper.
It can automatically update its virus database regularly.
And finally it has no support for p2p File Sharing and Registry Startup Protection.
8. Panda Antivirus Pro 2009:
The new Panda Antivirus made it’s comeback with some new and excellent features.
The best of those new features is the ultrafast scan engine that scan almost 30% faster compared to other antivirus applications.
This is another easy to use program that my kids have had on their systems recently and it did a great job of keeping them safe.
Other features of Panda Antivirus Pro are –
• Inbuilt Personal Firewall
• Panda Antivirus has an advanced heuristic scan which maximum possible identity theft
• Identity protection through Anti-Phishing Filter and Anti-Banking Trojans Engine
9. Norton Antivirus/ Internet Security
Norton Antivirus/ Internet Security is one of the most reputed antivirus application on the market today.
This version of Norton has the ability to identify your wireless home network and protect it.
Recently Norton has brought in a special version for gaming PCs known as Norton 2009 Gaming Edition.
Here are some of Norton’s main features –
• Very easy to use.
• Updates take only 5 to 10 minutes.
• Easy to install.
• Uses less system resources.
10. Trend Micro Internet security 2009:
Trend Micro Internet Security is an antivirus and internet security program developed by Trend Micro who are based in Tokyo, Japan.
Trend Micro are growing fast and are quickly becoming a strong contender in the internet security arena.
Here are some of the best features of Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 pro –
• The programs boot times are 20 percent faster and use 40 percent less RAM.
• The installation of the software is very easy and doesn’t take much of your time. After the installation is finished it performs a quick scan and updates the definition files.
• So you can protect your personal information with ease and Surf the Internet without slowing down your computer.
• Trend Micro Internet Security has a behavioral engine which is an exceptional tool for preventing malware.
• Exciting new look and good user interface
• Protect your children online:
• Protection against web Threats
(Take 10% Off Trend Micro Internet Security 2010 Now! Coupon Code: trendsecurity)
Which of the above is best for you is something I cannot really say – I use different products for different computers, according to their usage, and have chosen those with simpler interfaces for my kids regardless of the the rest of their features.
The one certainty, however, is that all of the above are highly effective and will do a grand job of keeping your computer secure.