If you have ever considered installing a free antivirus program then you will undoubtedly be familiar with the AVG brand and today I am reviewing the latest such program from the company: AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012.
- 1. A feature packed free antivirus solution
- 2. Offers very quick scanning
- 3. Low system resource usage.
- 1. AVG Secure Search installed by default
- 2. AVG Toolbar installed by default
- 3. –
As ever, a feature packed antivirus program is on offer here and it is, for the most part, free to use for personal users.
Installation and first impression
AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012 is a very quick and easy install. The installer that you will download is only 3.7 MB in size and the installation itself comes in at 56 MB.
Once you have the program up and running you will see the dashboard for the first time. You will notice that your antivirus database is in need of an update so go ahead and do that by pressing the Fix It button. You will then have a dashboard that looks like the one below:
As you can see in the image above, AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012 comes with many features including:
- Email Protection
- PC Analyzer
- Identity Protection
- Gaming Mode
AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012 has the following minimum system requirements:
Processor: Intel Pentium 1.5 Ghz or faster
Memory: 512 MB of RAM or more
Hard Drive: 950 MB or more of free space
Operating System: 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows XP / Vista / 7
+ Plus Points
- Scores highly in independent malware blocking and removal tests
- Large range of features for a free antivirus program
- Fast scanning
- Low system resource usage, even on an older machine, as seen in the image below.
– Minus Points
- I couldn’t find any deal breakers here but there may be a couple of minor annoyances:
- During setup you are offered the chance of installing the AVG Security Toolbar and of setting AVG Secure Search as your default provider. Neither are a cause for concern but both would probably annoy me if I had forgotten to untick the check boxes which are set by default.
This is the first free 2012 antivirus program I have taken a look at but it sets the bar high and the competition will do well do attain the same level of usefulness and effectiveness in a program that can be had for nothing. AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012 has scored well in independent tests by AV-Comparitives, even beating out some of it’s paid competition!
Its quick, it uses less system resources than many other such programs and its free. What is there not to like?
Download AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012 now.
While you are here why not check out my other reviews of the latest security programs:
- reviews of 2012 paid antivirus programs
- reviews of 2012 internet security programs
- reviews of 2012 free antivirus programs