If you have been on the internet for any length of time then you are probably aware of spyware, or have had to deal with it’s effects.
Spyware is software that becomes installed on your computer, typically without your knowledge or consent, which then attempts to either monitor your computer usage or affect it in some way.
A computer that has been infected with spyware will typically exhibit many symptoms.
These include –
- masses of pop-ups appearing whenever a browser is opened
- your browser redirecting you to unexpected web sites
- new toolbars attached to your web browser
- new icons appearing on your monitor
- strange keyboard glitches
- poor performance when opening windows or files
In some cases a p.c. that is infected with spyware will exhibit no obvious signs whatsoever.
Fortunately, then, there are some simple steps that you can take in order to increase your internet security and thereby decrease the risk of being infected with spyware.
Here Are 10 Easy Ways To Avoid Spyware –
- Keep your operating system and web browser up to date and fully patched.
- Always have good anti-virus and anti-spyware programs running.
- Keep them updated.
- Read my guide on wireless networking security.
- Be wary of downloading free software.
- If you do download free software then be sure to read the end-user license agreement beforehand.
- If you see pop-ups then never click any links in them.
- Never buy anti-spyware via email adverts or pop-ups – many of them are a con.
- Install and run a personal firewall to restrict external access to your computer.
- Always keep backups of important or sensitive data in case your computer becomes corrupted.