Twitter user @HackRead notified me earlier that an old Facebook scam that has resurfaced. The Facebook Black scam, along with its Pink and Red variants, has been going for well over a year now but it seems like it is spreading very quickly once again.
The scam can lead victims down one or more of a few different routes –
- it can hijack their Facebook account and post spam comments
- it can lead to a survey that will earn its owner a commission
- it can lead to malware being installed
The Facebook Black scam comes into play when the victim sees a wall post saying that they can change the background colour of their Facebook theme from blue to black. There will then be a link along with a message enticing the user to click it quickly. That link will lead the victim to somewhere they won’t want to go and will result in 1,2 or 3 of the scenarios above unfolding.
Considering how quickly this scam is spreading tonight you may have inadvertently clicked on it already. If thats the case then dealing with it isn’t too tricky –
- Click the lock icon next to “Home” in the top right of your screen
- Click on “Privacy Settings”
- Then, in the left pane, click on Apps and then click “Edit” for the offending app
- Now click on “Remove app”
You may also want to notify your friends so that they don’t get caught out and changing your password immediately wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Also, it would be a good idea to check your computer security with your antivirus program at this point.