Data security and common sense often go hand in hand.
Unfortunately, many people I know who suffer at the hands of malware, hackers and all manner of other bad things on the internet are lacking in the latter.
Therefore a post from econsultancy.com on 10 common sense data security tips was an interesting read for me and something well worth sharing.
Their tips are –
- Don’t store sensitive data in plaintext.
- Don’t store sensitive data unnecessarily.
- Be mindful of permissions.
- Filter input, escape output.
- Use a firewall.
- Manage users.
- Use SSL where appropriate.
- Look at your infrastructure.
- Stay on top of security releases.
- Treat security as an ongoing activity.
I’d highly recommend checking their page out for a far more detailed look at each of the above points – 10 Common Sense Data Security Tips