They often say that in business timing is everything. And Baidu’s is impeccable. Just as the whole internet seemingly connects all hacking in the world to the Chinese government their search giant release a free English language antivirus program. Will you dare install it?
According to Baidu themselves the program, which works on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 (32- and 64-bit) has the following benefits -
- Permanent free (love the grammar guys)
- Only ’11m’ in size (eleven metres?)
- ’10m’ system resource consumption
- rapidly identifies unknown virus
- fast response to latest virus
- supports English (really!?!?!)
- detects local viruses (what happens if I move my PC away from London?)
- different engines (I prefer diesel in the city please)
- removes 99% of threats
- Baidu Antivirus is compatible with 10 mainstream security software perfectly (whatever the hell that means)
There is no mention at this time as to whether it installs trojans or other nasties to aid the Chinese government in tracking and hacking you (is that harsh?)
So, all in all, it sounds like a winner doesn’t it?
If I was using free antivirus software I think I’d be put off from using this one already just based on the poor English description of what its all about. Not to mention the apparent risk of trusting anything originating from China right now.
But, in the interests of research, choice and entertainment, I will install it on my test machine shortly and compile a review which you’ll be able to find here in due course.