Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes around the world and can be particularly damaging to it’s victims, affecting their lives and finances for many years.
Therefore, it is extremely important to know how to avoid identity theft.
And who better to ask for tips than Number 6, a Cylon who is well versed in the arts of cloning?
Here’s Caprica’s top ten tips for avoiding identity theft –
- Always keep your Social Security card in a secure place, giving out the number only when absolutely necessary.
- Never let your purse or wallet out of your sight.
- Only carry those credit and debit cards that you absolutely need.
- Regularly check bank and credit card statements for unexpected transactions or charges.
- If you stop using a credit card or bank account then close it immediately.
- Shred all documents that contain your personal information, especially pre-approved credit card offers.
- Before revealing any information that can identify you, ask how it will be stores, used and secured, and whether or not it will be shared with others.
- Order copies of your free credit reports from the three credit bureaus annually and check them carefully for accuracy.
- Place passwords on all your credit card, bank and phone accounts. Ensure that the passwords you choose are effective.
- Use a locked mailbox or a post office box for sending and receiving all your mail.