Your kids, if they are anything like mine, are attracted to sites on the internet where they can socialise.
That includes chatrooms.
Unfortunately, however, other characters are also attracted to chatrooms.
This includes online sexual predators amongst other miscreants.
As a parent I hope you are already aware of what your children are doing online, who they are talking to and how you can protect them, to a degree.
In this century the predator hanging around the school gates may not be there any more as they find the obscurity and anonymity of the internet far more appealing.
Even though your kids may think they are talking to someone their own age the truth may be somewhat different, even in moderated chatrooms.
Here’s 5 tips for keeping your kids safe in internet chatrooms –
- Tell them that never talking to strangers needs to apply to people they ‘meet’ online too
- Warn them that predators are very good at pretending they are kids and so they shouldn’t share any private information with anyone online
- Be approachable and let your kids know they can come to you immediately if they feel threatened or otherwise unsafe
- Let them know that some predators break into accounts and impersonate people and so they should be careful even when talking to people they think they know
- Always monitor what your kids are doing online and try to limit the amount of time they spend in chatrooms
The internet is, by and large, an amazing information that can enhance our lives.
However a small minority use it to abuse and harm others.
Keep your kids safe.
Its your responsibility as a parent.