There are several methods you can employ in order to overcome identity theft.
As you hopefully realise, prevention is far far better than cure where identity theft is concerned.
Here are 13 suggestions that may help you to lessen the risk of identity theft –
- Never carry more than one credit card with you at a time
- Always, always sign credit and other cards as soon as you receive them
- Keep your social security card safe at all times and never carry it with you
- Do not record your PIN number on your card or otherwise carry it upon your person
- Always shred anything that has your PIN or social security number on it
- Shred any and all documents which contain your credit card number
- Check receipts to ensure that you received your own and not someone else’s
- If you do not receive your credit card statement then contact the issuer in case someone else has acquired it
- Do not give personal information or account numbers to anyone unless you have verified their identity
- Obtain regular copies of your credit report from the three agencies.
- Never leave spare keys for your house or apartment outside of your property
- Use a safe in your home, or safety deposit box at your bank, for storing sensitive personal information
- Ensure your computer system is secure. This includes utilising encryption on your wi-fi link if applicable
The above may not offer total protection but getting the basics right will make you a harder target for identity theft than a great many other people.